Some people’s idea of the perfect vacation is sitting by the pool with a kindle and a cocktail. Throw in a poolside massage and they are happy as a clam. There is another breed of traveler that likes to hit the ground running. These individuals want to do and see as much as possible. Their idea of a perfect vacation is an itinerary loaded with activities.
If you are visiting Virgin Gorda I am happy to inform you that both types of vacation are readily available. If you want to rent a house with a pool and a place to relax than we have that. If you want an active vacation with lots to do you can have that too.
Virgin Gorda’s location makes it an excellent home base for day trips to other islands. If you are someone who wants to explore, here’s our short-list of the Best of the BVI.
1) Cow Wreck Beach Bar / Anegada – I always get annoyed when guests tell me they went to Anegada and spent the whole day at Loblolly Beach and ate lunch at Big Bamboo. In our opinion the real attraction on Anegada is Cow Wreck Beach.
2) Bomba’s Shack / Tortola – Bomba’s Surfide Shack is a located on the beach at Cappoons Bay, Tortola. Built out of scrap material, broken surfboards, and driftwood this bar is about as weird and eclectic as they come. The anything goes party atmosphere makes this one of the hardest partying establishments in the BVI. Their full moon parties are world famous.
3) William T. Thorton – Floating Bar & Restaurant / Norman Island – For a unique drinking and eating experience you cannot beat the “Willy – T”. This floating bar / restaurant is on a ship permanently anchored off the shore of Norman Island.
1) Spring Bay / Virgin Gorda – While everyone else is running to The Baths do yourself a favor and take a detour to Spring Bay.
2) White Bay / Jost Van Dyke – Grab a drink at the Soggy Dollar bar and soak up one of the most perfect beaches in the BVI. The beach’s proximity to bars and restaurants makes this a great spot for fun in the sun.
3) Cow Wreck Beach / Anegada – Soft white sand as far as the eye can see and not another sole in site. When you are ready for liquid refreshments and a bite to eat the folks at the family run Cow Wreck Beach Bar will take good care of you.
1) Dove Restaurant & Wine Bar / Tortola – The Dove serves serious food with great wine pairings and cocktails. It is located right across the street from the ferry dock in Tortola so it is easily accessible if you are coming from Virgin Gorda.
2) Chez Bamboo / Virgin Gorda – The vibes at Chez Bamboo are always warm and friendly. Early in the evening is great for dinner. Late-night live music on Friday’s and other times throughout the week enhance the festive atmosphere. Their Caribbean / Asian-Fusion menu hits all the right notes. Their sushi rolls are the best in the BVI.
3) Anegada Reef Hotel / Anegada – The lobster at the Anegada Reef Hotel’s restaurant is the best I ever tasted. The lobsters are pulled from the surf and grilled right on the beach over indigenous hardwood. Order an ice cold Carib beer with dinner. I like to end the night with a Cognac and a Cuban. It doesn’t get better than this!